The application period for this position is now closed.
We are recruiting a Part-Time Gallery Assistant who can start as soon as possible.
The role is based mainly at our Norwich gallery on Bedford Street – Gallery in the Lanes, although occasional travel to our site in Wroxham (Riverside Art and Glass) may be required. We offer a relaxed but hard-working environment with lots of opportunities to develop and many exciting projects to be involved with. We have a new exhibition space which will feature a changing programme of shows curated by the gallery and is also available to hire.
Reporting to the Gallery Supervisor this role is a key member of our sales team. Therefore we are looking for someone who cares about art and design and is interested in engaging with our customers about the work we have on display. The job holder will sell artwork but also get involved in all aspects of gallery operations including displays and installation.
Application deadline: Monday 19 September
Interviews: Thursday 28 September
Please read the Job Description and Person Specification below carefully and then send your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com
Job Title: Gallery Assistant
Location: Gallery in the Lanes, Norwich and Riverside Art & Glass, Wroxham
Hours of Work: 3 days per week, including weekends (+ occasional opportunities for overtime)
Salary: £8.50 per hour
Reports to: Gallery Supervisor
Purpose of Job: To assist gallery visitors in finding the products they are looking for and to introduce a pleasant shopping experience
- Politely greet customers who enter the gallery or who contact the gallery
- Sell artwork and answer questions from shoppers
- Be responsible for processing cash and card payments, balancing cash registers with receipts
- Process OwnArt applications
- Deal with enquiries by email and phone
- Deal with customer complaints responsibly
- Report discrepancies and problems to the Gallery Manager
- Attach price tags and information labels to displays
- Keep the Gallery tidy and clean; this includes hoovering and mopping
- Be responsible for security within the gallery and be on the lookout for shoplifters and fraudulent credit cards etc.
- Assist with new stock deliveries
- General gallery administration using a range of computer systems
- Keep up to date with company news and promotions
- Consider your appearance, being smart and articulate
- Adhere to all company policies and guidelines including Health and Safety
- Work with colleagues to promote the gallery
The previous points do not represent an exhaustive description of the duties and occasions will arise when other responsibilities will be given by the company.
Please note this role includes some heavy lifting and working at height. Own transport is desirable due to public transport arrangements in and out of Wroxham at weekends. The successful applicant will be based mainly at Gallery in the Lanes but may be asked to attend meetings and cover occasional shifts at Riverside Art and Glass in Wroxham.
A successful Gallery Assistant will be flexible and adaptable as the role encompasses a wide range of daily activities which change as the business evolves. It is important that the Job Holder has an interest in the arts and is willing to learn about our artists and exhibitions to help promote the galleries and sell the artwork confidently. A willingness to work as part of a team, supporting each other under pressure and helping complete tasks on time is also essential.
The key criteria we look for include:
- At least a Grade 4 in GCSE Maths or equivalent qualification
- Experience in cash handling and operating a till system
- Experience in using computer systems and social media
- Proven ability to communicate confidently in person, by email and over the phone
- Proven ability to work as part of a team
- Proven ability to follow instructions
- The ability to move heavy objects and work at height
If you have any further questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01603 767 282